Author Topic: How to go from scene collection to dope sheet in Blender?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline spamzilla

• Iguana
  • T:REP 46
    • View Profile
    • Spamzilla Studios
How to go from scene collection to dope sheet in Blender?
« on: December 30, 2021, 02:15:28 PM »
What I'm trying to do is go from Turok .bin formats to a .md2 or .md3 for a video game mod I'm making. The problem is that IDK how to go from being in the scene collection to the dope sheet.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: How to go from scene collection to dope sheet in Blender?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
I don't know with the Turok tool if it changes anything but the dopesheet can be located here:
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline spamzilla

• Iguana
    • View Profile
    • Spamzilla Studios
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:17:22 PM »
Sorry, My post wasn't worded well...

What I need is to get the animations out of the .bin files from Turok 1. For example, When I import "dyn_monster_raptor.bin", it only loads the model's idle animation sequence.

Offline DoomMarine23

• Raptor
  • T:REP 230
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:49:16 PM »
Sorry, My post wasn't worded well...

What I need is to get the animations out of the .bin files from Turok 1. For example, When I import "dyn_monster_raptor.bin", it only loads the model's idle animation sequence.

Sorry I haven't seen this post until today.

You need to open up a new window pane in Blender and set it to Dope Sheet > Action Editor. Select the armature skeleton and scroll through the animations. I can help more if you need anything else but through the action editor you can duplicate, delete, or add new animation actions.

To ensure your animations are exported to a new animation .bin make sure they are a multiple of 4, e.g. 20 frames, 200 frames, 400 frames, and that the shield icon for "Fake User" is enabled.

As for converting to MD2/MD3, I am sure its possible, but I've never done it so I can't give any specific advice at this moment in time, but I am sure it isn't too difficult once you figure it out. I've done stuff like Half-Life before just fine.

Here is a video example

https://webmshare.com/play/Wqj8d

Edit: I assume you could probably select an animation you want, and copy/paste its frames into one big mega animation, because I know many games with MD2/MD3 use a single animation file, and simply call the specific frame numbers they want. This is how I did it for Half-Life models years ago.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:00:08 PM by DoomMarine23 »

Offline spamzilla

• Iguana
    • View Profile
    • Spamzilla Studios
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 09:38:31 AM »
The only thing in the 'Action Editor' is the same 80 frames which correspond to the idle animation. I noticed that the 'Non-Linear Animation' window shows all the animations but I can't figure out how to utilize those either.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:39:12 AM by spamzilla »

Offline DoomMarine23

• Raptor
  • T:REP 230
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 02:36:37 PM »
I think I can help with that, but perhaps it would be easier if we use the community's Discord chat, because I know our messages here are months apart from each other. Here is the invite link https://discord.com/invite/U7KWwr9

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal