Author Topic: Is There an Official Wiki?  (Read 8042 times)

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
  • T:REP 424
    • View Profile
Is There an Official Wiki?
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »
I know there is the page over at Wikia but I couldn't find another one. 

Is the Wikia page considered the official Turok wiki or is there another I've missed on something like Mediawiki?

Just curious as I'm not a fan of Wikia and their philosophy/business model around wiki information ownership and content creator rights. :)
"It's gotta be... THE GOAD!!"

Offline Dinomite

• Ban
  • T:REP 2223
    • View Profile
Re: Is There an Official Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
I know there is the page over at Wikia but I couldn't find another one. 

Is the Wikia page considered the official Turok wiki or is there another I've missed on something like Mediawiki?

Just curious as I'm not a fan of Wikia and their philosophy/business model around wiki information ownership and content creator rights. :)
There is no official wikia but the one that exists is REALLY good, the best one out there, especially for newcomers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:08:05 PM by Dinomite »

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:02 PM »
(A+ plug there, Dinomite)

I'm one of the administrators over on the Turok Wiki, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer! The wiki doesn't have as much information on it as I'd like, especially concerning the comics, but we only have a small handful of people who edit it regularly (myself included). It's a slow process. :P

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies. :)

I do have one question though.  I don't mean any offense (don't want to come across all high and mighty!) but is there a reason that you chose Wikia over a less commercial wiki solution?

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
I honestly have no idea! :V  I first joined up with the wiki a few years after it had been created. It would be a good question for the original admin staff, but they've pretty much all wandered off elsewhere.

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 06:52:45 AM »
Ah, I just presumed that you were in on the decision as you seem to be the main maintainer of the wiki.

Thanks for replying. :)

I'm toying with the idea of helping out.  My knowledge of the series isn't great but I enjoy tweaking formatting, grammar and other menial tasks.  My reticence comes from it being on Wikia.  I just don't like their content ownership rules and the overuse of huge ads.  Both kinda go against the whole wiki philosophy... perhaps I can reconcile this stuff in my old brain...

Still, enough self righteous whinging from me.  You're doing a great job.  The wiki contains so much useful and interesting stuff.  It's really pretty impressive. 

Between your work and this forum it seems Turoks future is in good hands. :)

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
Thank you for your kind words! Feel free to pop on over any time, but don't feel like you're obligated. I totally get your issues with Wikia (the ads are my biggest peeve at the moment), and if you don't feel right with it, that's perfectly okay. :)

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
Adblock works for the intrusive ads but Wikia still owns all the maintainers work.  For example, operative Im spends a month updating the Dynamite comic page and putting lots of work into it.  Dynamite don't like what's been written and contact Wikia.  Wikia can just remove or edit with no explanation or recourse because once anything is on one of their sites Wikia then owns it.  That's not what a wiki should be about.

A while back the folks at Doomworld ran into a similar problem with Wikia changing things for their own ends.  The maintainers eventually migarated to a truly neutral page where information and data is safe.  It makes me feel a LOT better about updating pages.  My work becomes everyone's work - not some faceless corporate entity making money off the back of peoples' free labour...

Anyway, I'm ranting again.  Please don't take offense if you have no problem with Wikia.  Just my personal view. :)

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
Cheers.  I can often get a rant on, so be prepared! :P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal