Author Topic: Turok Level Editor  (Read 147089 times)

Offline Froglegs

• Iguana
  • T:REP 39
    • View Profile
Re: Turok level viewer/exporter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 01:53:43 AM »
AWESOME! I am in love with what I see and I will stay on board with this; way to go, Stinkee! :D

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
This is really nice man just seeing the maps I especially like the starting place such a tease! I know there have been alot of attempts at getting some kind of level editor for Turok and to my knowledge none of them went through. This is the farthest I've seen one get hope you don't stop and keep going! Also, you could get a job doing this stuff it seems glad you are doing this first before you get to busy hehe :P

Honestly I don't think it matters if we can make the textures better or models. Turok Evolution looks pretty good as is actually, and I personally like old school better. Of course it would be awesome but its no big deal. If we had a level editor for Turok maybe we could have a user content section just as almost every other fps game of its time. Which would be amazing especially from a level design perspective ;)

Thanks keep up the work!
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
This is the farthest I've seen one get hope you don't stop and keep going!
It's been less than a week, too. I hope it makes it twice as far by this time next week. I haven't been able to work on it much today because I was busy all day and now I'm kind of recovering from crashing on a couch for a few hours.

Also, you could get a job doing this stuff it seems glad you are doing this first before you get to busy hehe :P
That's the dream. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere, New York. The best technology we have in this little section of the world are log splitters and ride-on lawn mowers. And as far as the people here are concerned, that's enough apparently. I'm not ready to leave yet either, but one day, I hope.

Turok Evolution looks pretty good as is actually, and I personally like old school better
Turok Evolution held the title of "favorite game" for longer than any video game before it or after it, for me. However, even the first time I played it so long ago I considered it a very ugly game. It seems kind of crude if you know what I mean. There definitely is a feel to it though that I would want to preserve. The unrealistic explosions of blood, gore, wooden chunks from boxes. The sometimes unfitting animations. The overall visual buggyness of the game. Have you ever shot a lizard or a frog at any point in the game? That's the kind of priceless thing about this game that I love.

I would like to see this game with high resolution textures and meshes without holes. And if I can find a way to enable multiplayer, that would be fantastic. More than better meshes and textures though I'd like to see some user created levels that are as good or better than the ones that come with the game.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:38:36 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:19:11 PM »
Yeah I really liked the creatures the snapping turtle is my favorite hehe

He is making his return now :)

http://www.turokforums.com/turok-evolution/turok-evlution-models-53/msg1162/#msg1162
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 12:59:03 AM »
Well, I figured out the issues loading some of the level meshes. It turns out that there are a few different types of vertex data structures. The type of vertex structure for any given .MTF can be found by reading the third 32-bit integer of the OFNI (Info) block.

0 = 36 byte vertex
1 = Not sure yet, possibly for UI stuff, I encountered it while trying to load the cheats menu and haven't studied it yet
3 = 44 byte vertex (two extra floats, possibly UV coordinates for lightmaps, as this structure seems to only be present in levels with a lightmaps folder)

I've also made some not insignificant progress in connecting some of the strange unknown MTF data structures. I now know how to find corresponding textures with 100% accuracy, as well as corresponding data structures with a lot of unknown information which I'm sure will be useful in the future.

Let's celebrate with some screenshots:

What do you know, this thing actually has an inside.

I guess the shelf on the wall in this room which the grenade guy stands on is a dynamic object? I wasn't expecting that.

I think this is the main menu screen, the file is titled "frontendbackground.atr".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:02:09 AM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 02:43:56 PM »
I am absolutely loving this did I say that yet? Really nice work history in the making in my eyes

I <3 <3 <3 this !
I AM ADON

Offline Spartan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 376
  • PARTRIDGE METAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »
Thank you so much for this tool my friend! Im going to try it! I really want to remake this in UE4!
WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

Offline Drahsid

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 557
  • That I be considered worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »
Wow! I'm impressed. Great work.
Well that didn't work

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
Really nice work history in the making in my eyes
I hope you're right about that, because this is taking a minimal amount of effort for me compared to other things I've coded. Perhaps my future will not be as eventless and depressing and homeless as I had previously projected. I've never worked with a professional programming team in the actual games industry before so I have almost no reference level for how skilled I am.
Did you mean that I'm developing a nice work history, or that this is history in the making?

Thank you so much for this tool my friend! Im going to try it! I really want to remake this in UE4!
You're welcome. I'll post the windows/os x binaries and a quick set of instructions in the near future so that anyone who wants to look at things can have that chance without having to wait until it's done. Currently all you can do with it is fly through the level and look at stuff, but it is pretty cool to see how things look from perspectives not normally achievable through the game.

And thank you everyone who has said encouraging things about this project. Feels good man.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:27:35 AM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Spartan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 376
  • PARTRIDGE METAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »
One question, where I can download the viewer?
WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal