Author Topic: Turok Level Editor  (Read 147082 times)

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
Re: Turok level viewer/exporter
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
Nowhere yet. If you're on a Mac then I can get you a version as soon as I get it working again, it's currently in a broken state between not having support for actor instances and having support for actor instances.

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 12:41:38 AM »
I've made progress!
The program can now successfully load all types of formats except for the skeletal animation files (.AMC), unless I'm forgetting something.

Some notes on the formats (PC version):
-.MTF static models only
-.ATF animated models (only?)
-.ATR actor definition files (meshes, textures, actor properties referenced/defined here)
-.ATI actor instance data (only present with level files, defines actor placement, rotation,scale, and some other things I haven't figured all the way out yet)

Since I started this project with not much knowledge about the formats, my code is full of experimental and messy stuff and it's not optimally structured. So I'm going to rewrite the loading code and try to remove all of the bugs I can and then after that I will add support for displaying (not animating, yet) the animated meshes (tal'set, enemies, animals, dinosaurs). After that's completed I'll see what I can do about editing and saving the files again in a way that the T4 engine can read without crashing.

Enjoy these screenshots. Or don't. Some of them reveal some never before visualized (for the public) information such as camera placement, enemy "cover" positions, possibly enemy path markers? I'm not entirely sure what the green things are yet.

Don't mind the Z-buffer fighting in the following images, or the rainbow textures. The rainbow is an animated color gradient texture that my rendering engine uses when objects that require textures are rendered without textures. Apparently there is a water plane with a texture and another one without one, I'm not sure what that's about either.

I also found this in the first level, I don't think I've ever seen this gun in the game before.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:22:15 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Spartan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 376
  • PARTRIDGE METAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »
Probably was a prototype of the minigun
WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:16 PM »
This is really amazing Stinkee you are awesome at this. I doubt anyone has seen this stuff before from this perspective, besides the development team of course. ^^

Also, its both. Your making a great work history plus making history. I am sure if you finish this and possibly some other stuff for Turok you could land a job somewhere since no one has really broke the universe of Turok coding and level editors etc etc. So its both keep it up!
I AM ADON

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »
I can load most levels now complete with all of the static meshes and dynamic actors that are contained within it. I'm having some trouble with the index lists for the .ATF files though, you'll notice in each of the character models there will be some stretched polygons. I'm not entirely sure how the index lists (Header type CBUS) work yet.

Unfortunately I won't be able to have level/actor editing capabilities until I understand and can rebuild all of the data in any of the files exactly the way that the original engine tools did. I think I can do it, I might need to get back in contact with some people from Acclaim otherwise it could take a while if I don't get lucky.

Anyway, I've taken a bunch of screenshots for peeps to look at.

Here's a funny thing that happened:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:23:20 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Komenja

• Iguana
  • T:REP 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »
^ Well, I know what I'm going to have nightmares about for the rest of the month...

Dude, this is crazy awesome what you're doing here. Keep up the good work!
"I am Turok, Son of Stone! Turok of the Kiowa-Apache! Turok, the Hunter! I won't forget these things, nor will I forget how to use my weapons: my bow... my brain... my knife! However, I'm no fool. I'll keep the gun, too."
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #0, 1995

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
Don't worry Stinkee take your time :) its amazing I don't think another word could quite explain this.

^ Well, I know what I'm going to have nightmares about for the rest of the month...

Yes nightmares of Tal'Chest :P
I AM ADON

Offline Froglegs

• Iguana
  • T:REP 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 12:22:52 AM »
I am amazed to see how much work you've accomplished in such a short time. Very impressive! It's really neat to see pinpoint locations where everything has been set at in each level. Especially with that unused minigun, what map is that placed in?

Also, are there any placements for ambient sounds in any of the maps or did the developers code them in?

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
that unused minigun, what map is that placed in?

Also, are there any placements for ambient sounds in any of the maps or did the developers code them in?

Actually, the mini gun thing seems to be in more than just one level. I've noticed it in the very beginning of a few levels now.

Also, There are some meshless actors which I think might be for things like what you mentioned. Of the meshless actors I know for a fact there are lights, I haven't bothered yet to connect those to my rendering engine for authentic Turok lighting. I have to explore the .ATR files for the meshless actors before I can know what they are and display them properly in the viewer, unless some things are named descriptively enough to give hints.
Something tells me that the programmers just hard coded the ambient noise functions to play throughout each level regardless of player location. I think that the actual audio file name must be listed somewhere, somehow within the level definitions, but I haven't seen any references to it.

The apparent lack of evidence of sound information could be evidence of the possibility that sounds are referenced by a unique ID number rather than a descriptive name or file name. If you check the sounds directory all sounds in the game are named using numbers rather than more descriptive names. There could have been some internal enumeration or external data file that associated these numbers with actual game events, the original level editor could have used something like this to give the level creators the ability to choose what sounds to use for what.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:09:48 AM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
I Am intrested to see what happens to the indians at the beginning of the level with the baboons before the slegs kill them

What part of which level is that? I haven't played the game through in a long time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal