Author Topic: Turok Dinosaur Hunter modding (Get started) Basics Guides  (Read 75225 times)

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Turok Dinosaur Hunter modding (Get started) Basics Guides
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »
Basics: How to

1. Launch game
2. Open console by pressing ~
3. Type "developer 1" and hit enter then exit the game
*Step 1-3 can also be done by opening config.cfg in the Turok game directory and find the line that says seta developer "0" and change it to seta developer "1"
4. Open game files and locate game.kpf (kpf is short for Kex Program file)

5. Rename it to game.zip and open it up (extract these into your own folder somewhere for quick reach of it later.)
*You can mod your game by changing the components directly inside the game.kpf
6. After your done remember to rename game.zip back into game.kpf or the game will crash.

Making your own mods folder

1. Make your own folder inside the Turok game directory and call it "mods"
(It should look like this i'm using my gog folder here)

*Inside this mod folder you can include specific components from the game.kpf and individually replace them using the mods folder. The engine will recognize it.

*The files inside the mods folder need to be zipped files and then renamed using the .kpf extension

It should look like this

Zipping your modifications.

The .kpf files inside the mods folder need to be zipped folders/files.
The files have to be named the same as they are in the game.kpf for the engine to recognize this.
They also need to be in the same directory/file as the game.kpf

Example my crosshair mod.

The crosshair image is originally located in game.kpf/gfx/crosshair.png

Mine is located in mods/crosshair.zip/gfx/crosshair.png

Now rename it to .kpf and your good to go, you can name your own .kpf files whatever you want to, just as long as the components inside are named the same as the originals it will work :)

Playing your mods

Once there set up correctly as explained above you can just launch Turok or drag your .kpf file onto the launcher.

See Kaiser's Guide for more.

More Guides:

Editing Textures: https://www.turokforums.com/index.php?topic=153.0

Exporting Models as Whole Objects: https://www.turokforums.com/index.php?topic=161.msg3748#msg3748

Exporting Models as individual Nodes: https://www.turokforums.com/index.php?topic=157.0

Mapping Editor Guides: https://www.turokforums.com/index.php?topic=262.0

Even More Guides: https://duke64nukem.com/category/turok-dinosaur-hunter-guides/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:17:13 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
Re: T1 modding (Get started)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
But its most likely a good thing to have down the road if people start posting individual mods the section could get way to crowded. Sixty four can we have a questions thread for modding in here to because I got a few. After looking into the files I can only understand some of it. I have to learn this stuff! Somebody switched the soldiers heads on the models to scorpion and sub zero lol!
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline The_EyeofTurok

• Iguana
  • T:REP 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »
Rok just make a questions thread :) I have some to actually. But yeah I saw scorpion in Turok lol I think im traumatized from it xD. Did anybody see the high res textures stuff being worked on?  I'm not interested in high res textures myself but it sure looks pretty cool.
They are watching

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:34:49 PM »
A section for this was asked for and I agree because I am currently messing around in it myself also. Nobody ever asked for any other mod section before but imo it makes it easier to read. If some members want to discuss regular talks or post videos its the Turok 1 section. The user content sections needs to be separated. With the level editor coming, there is high purpose for this and the suggestion made me act. I also thought this would be good for any of the games that are moddable T2 and T4. 

Also, I think everyone is entitled to there own thread if they want to share something the forum is not messy it has more members and posters now. For example having one general thread for mods and maps would be messy and could also lead to confusion on who members are responding to. Here members can release in easy format as there own thread.

Example mod thread name- Release: Shotgunfix.kpf or New: Shotgunfix.kpf

Example map thread- Release: lostland.map or New: lostland.map

Could be however you want it but try to go towards it being some sort of release if anyone wants to. Don't make me be first :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:36:06 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
Thanks for explaining this 64, also has anyone noticed how similar this modding is to Doom? It is very similar to classic games like Duke Nukem 3d modding also. Love it, thanks Kaiser couldn't of asked for it any other way :)

It still has its differences as every engine would but this is very similar. Going to be taking sometime out to learn much over xmas break :)
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline The_EyeofTurok

• Iguana
  • T:REP 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
has anyone noticed how similar this modding is to Doom?

I really see the similarity here Kaiser did use to mod for Doom I think so that's probably one reason :D Love it to btw
They are watching

Offline MaxMan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 166
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »
I really hope to see some cool stuff in here :) if you want feedback I can always give it

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
So far from the time I spent seeking through the files it does remind me of Doom and Duke modding. I learned quite a bit of Duke modding so looking at some of this plus the level files are labeled .map makes me feel at home.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Drek

• Iguana
  • T:REP 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »

KAISER SAYS:
"Turok EX Level Editor coming soon!"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583186978

Offline Drek

• Iguana
  • T:REP 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
I just did a quick push test on the kex engine.

I did a Photoshop action to batch scale all the textures to 4x the original resolution. The game handled them fine, pre map loading time went from less than 1sec to a solid 2seconds.

This means a standard high res pack should be doable fairly easy. Anyone in the community looking to make high res textures should aim for 4x resolution, and try to keep the original feeling intact. Same color scheme...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal