Author Topic: Mapping Help on Kex v1.0.3 needed  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
  • T:REP 484
    • View Profile
Mapping Help on Kex v1.0.3 needed
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
Hi and Hello

I'm new to the Turok mapping editor and I don't see any place where there is a collaboration forum. I see these guides and a post for guides in that thread. But I don't see a Help Me page.

I need help of a noobish nature and I would like to be helpful as well with noobish solutions I have found. I posted one such solution here --> http://www.turokforums.com/t1-moddinguser-content/turok-dinosaur-hunter-mapping-guides/msg6298/#msg6298

I've seen some great maps here and I hope to contribute as well. Thanks - Gazerbeam
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:40:00 PM by Gazer »
No Ciggi

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: Mapping Help on Kex v1.0.3 needed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
Welcome. I can help with this. I also moved this topic to this board the other area is for general non Turok mods ;) Like Doom 64 maps or say a Shadow Man mod. But all Turok 1 modding/mapping can go here even questions for it. Glad to see another mapper I will take a look myself and then explain to help. You make some Quake maps? Sounds awesome that is the type of thing you could release in the other board in the general board if you felt like. Give me some time here though I will post soon about this.

Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
    • View Profile
Another question About Kex in general
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »
So I am assuming from threads that I've read while looking for help with Kex issues, that some people use an editor for Turok, other than the -Kex- editor.

Can anyone post a link to it here so I could check it out? Kex works but if there's a editor that is faster and better at handling memory I like to use it. I suppose I could just google the doom64 editor but asking for help seems more appropriate since there are not a lot of people creating maps for these games.

Thanks and happy fraggin'. Gazer

Post Script: Does anybody know the command to set desktop shortcut, launch editor, using steam?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:49:46 PM by Gazer »
No Ciggi

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:52 PM »
Well the Doom 64 editor is also in kex and if you ask me it has a very similar UI. But there's no way it could create maps for Turok Dinosaur Hunter they won't produce the same output of map at all. Its not even the same like at all kex changed a lot I suppose only the UI looks familiar to me imo. Only way to build with it is using the editor that is supplied by the game.

I used Doom 64 builder to make a Turok based map though it can only launch with Doom 64 the editors are very specific to there game.

http://www.turokforums.com/user-mods-maps-and-content/(release)-doomrok-(doom-64-ex)/

You can get doom 64 ex and the builder here though: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/downloads/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:04:50 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:34:09 AM »
Thanks La Duuka64.

So was there a Turok editor out before this one? I haven't found any info about it except for here  ;D.

I'm in Los Angeles and the last time I went to a Dodgers baseball game a couple of years ago, there was a player here named LaDuca. The whole stadium chanted La Duuuuuuka when he came up to bat and it was pretty cool. La la land. It has it's good points.

Best, Gazer
No Ciggi

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
Thanks La Duuka64.

So was there a Turok editor out before this one? I haven't found any info about it except for here  ;D.

I'm in Los Angeles and the last time I went to a Dodgers baseball game a couple of years ago, there was a player here named LaDuca. The whole stadium chanted La Duuuuuuka when he came up to bat and it was pretty cool. La la land. It has it's good points.

Best, Gazer

There was a tester version only, which I and a few of the devs had access to awhile ago. It was removed nearly a year ago for safety pre-cautions of false advertisement and to help prevent any damage so it could eventually release. This is the only editor available here with the game. I'm sure updates will be coming to it also. But the guys are knee deep in Turok 2 atm.

Yeah I know that Baseball player xxD
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:24:52 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:01:59 AM »
So if anybody sees this, lol, I guess it's up to me to figure out the teleport keys and the spawnflags that will make the lifeforce pickups spawn only 1 time, and not repopulate themselves upon player death. Does anybody else have to use task manager a lot to shutdown the Kex editor? I understand it's a complete arse pain to reverse engineer this game engine, or any other.

Right now the teleport and respawn difficulties are slowing me down. Can anybody offer suggestions about these?

mushi mushi - Gazer 
No Ciggi

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
First question I would ask is how did you test the respawns and teleports? Did you only test them in the test play editor function only? Or did you actually test it through the game and this problem still consist's?
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:12:19 AM »
Screenshots from 'Deathnote' manga - creepie cuddlers  :-[ just for fun ...

Hi Duke and hey I zipped the map up (.kpf) but I cannot get it into the game engine directly without using the workshop. I tried a few different ways. I think in 'Jungle Falls' map the pickups and actors repopulate the map also upon player death and respawn, don't they? I think I tried looking at your map and the original maps as well.

I have the checkpoints working upon player death but teleporting doesn't work as illustrated in the 'tutoriallevel.map' example from nightdive. I tried making that a .kpf as well and running through the workshop, and changing the arg inputs. I don't think I exhausted the testing but I did try a lot of different things.

With 'Jungle Falls' it doesn't run for me through the training level option although it does show up there. If I fire it up from there the game crashes to fatal.

My Godaddy account just closed after a year so my web storage and wordpress pages are gone now. So the links that I had posted in other threads will now be dead links. Just a note.
No Ciggi

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal